A Week of Quilting

I haven’t posted for a while.  I guess this blog, like a lot of my crafting, slows down over the summer. Sorry.

It is fully autumn in Quebec.  Pottery class has started up again, and I’m itching to quilt and sew and craft and cook and make.

I just took a week off work and loaded a car FULL of sewing supplies and drove up to the cottage for a week.  I went up with my sister, then my parents joined me for a couple nights.  My grandparents came up for a day trip and then D. for a few days.

An itty-bitty turtle crawled around on the lawn for a visit too.

The weather was grey and wet for the first few days, then sunny, clear and beautiful the last few.

They grey weather and piles of sewing supplies allowed me to finish not one, but two (!!) quilt tops.

And I sewed a new curtain for the kitchen window.

The one that was there was hideous! Unfortunately I don’t have photos, but it was made of something synthetic, made to look something like lace with peaches on blue background.  I used some lovely fabric I bought at Purl Soho nearly three years ago.  That’s before I was really sewing and didn’t really know what to do with it.

I’ve always thought it would be a nice fabric for small curtains (these were a foot long), so it was a perfect fit.

I thought I had finished my nine-patch quilt months ago, but there was something about the border that bother me.

This is what it looked like:

Image

My friend Anie helped me figure out the problem with it was I didn’t like the way the stacked coin border melted into the flowery white fabric.  Actually I didn’t like the stacked coin border at all.

I tore out the border and at the cottage I fixed it.

(sorry for the washed out photos… I can’t seem to find any other place to hang this big quilt to take a picture of it where the colours aren’t quite so pale)

Final measurements are 94″ by 86″.  I’ve decided to get this one professionally quilted.  I just don’t like it enough to spend the hours doing it myself.

This will be the background fabric (which I love):

I also finished my pin-wheel quilt at the cottage.

I bought the fabric for this one in San-Francisco on a trip with D. in late April.

Image

I purchased without planning out the quilt first, so I was missing a few fat quarters when it came time to sew.  I added some fabric from my stash which worked out well.

Final measurements are 70″ x 70″ .

Overall I’m really pleased with this one.

There is a patch with a lot of green in the middle.  I messed up the direction of a few blocks when I was sewing them in a row.

It was worse, but I did some quilting surgery (take out two blocks in the middle and sew them back in) to help with the problem.  It’s not perfect but it doesn’t bother me too much.

I know what I’ll do for the back but need to buy some fabric.

That leaves me with only one Quilting WIP.  And It’s nearly done too!

I’m happy to have an almost clean quilting slate to start the Fall off with.

Time to buy more fabric.

NOTE: I’m linking up to crazy mom quilts‘ Finish It Up Fridays.  I love the linking party.  It’s a strong source of inspiration to get stuff done.  And to blog about it.

-marika

Advertisements

Rainbow Quilt

I finally finished my stacked coins rainbow quilt!

And now for the back:

This is the first quilt I’ve made for myself, and wow, does it ever feel wonderful to sleep under a handmade quilt!  The weight, the comfort, the colours… it all makes me very happy.

I started this project back in May when I had some time off work. 

This is the second quilt I started in my short quilting career.  I didn’t follow a pattern and I tried to cut a few corners and not make it too wide.  I realized it wasn’t worth it, ripped borders out and made the quilt bigger. I still think it’s a couple inches narrow.  If I remember it measures 87″ by 94″

This is also the first quilt I attempted to machine quilt. 

I started it before my Cartwheel Quilt, but finished the later first.  Before this quilt, I didn’t know how to properly prepare a quilt-sandwich so I packed up my three layers and took it to Emeline & Annabelle in Montreal for a workshop.

They were very helpful, but when I told them how I envisioned the quilting, Annabelle warned, “that’s a lot of quilting.”  She was right.

I don’t know exactly how many bobbins of thread I went through but I would say a dozen, at the very least!

But it was so well worth it.  I love the look.

 I quilted up and down for the body of the quilt and in big squares around the border.

I used a biased binding to finish off.

I still have about two meters of the backing fabric (which I really like) and some stacked coins left over.  The plan it to make cushions or pillow shams. One day.

First I’ll finish my nine-patch quilt top.  I have all 90 blocks done, the 6 1/2″ sashing sewn on to each block, and the lay out determined.  That’s a good chunk of the work done. Hopefully I’ll find the time to get most of it done in the next couple of weeks.