Cartwheel Quilt

The purpose of this blog is to share some things I make, give a few tutorials and share what inspires me.

made by marika: The Cartwheel Quilt

This quilt was made for friends who are expecting their first baby in two weeks.  A number of friends from our gang pitched in to pay for the fabric.  I took care of the stitching.

The quit is for a little girl, so I wanted the colours to be feminine, but I certainly didn’t want to limit myself to pink and purple.  I have nothing against pink and purple, but I dislike gender branding by colour.  The quilt fits a twin bed so I hope she’ll hold on to it for a while.

As always, I started with a pile of fabric:

The collection of long, narrow strips of fabric is called a jelly roll.  A standard jelly roll has 40 different fabric strips, all 2.5″ wide and 42″ long.

Buying fabric like this allows you to have a wide variety of patterns in one quilt without breaking the bank on 40 different kinds of fabric.   Most stores require you to buy a minimum length of any given fabric.  Working with a Jelly roll also minimizes scraps, which is also a good thing.

I followed a free online tutorial to make this quilt.  You’ll find the link it at the end of the post.

I had a lot of help from a friend to make this quilt so I finished in record time.  I’ve only made three quilt so it’s not like I’m breaking any real records here.

I thought the quilt was easily assembled, and since I was using a jelly roll, I only had half the cutting to do.  Even then, all the cutting was from the same fabric which also sped up the process.

This is the first quilt I finish machine quilting.  I’m working on one for myself but it’s a long slow process and I only have a fraction finished.

I wanted this quilt to be very soft and flexible so I quit in the ditch (along the seams) so I ended up with 2″ squares like so:

For the backing I used a row of stacked coins.  As I was assembling, I realized I was missing a whole yard of the pink fabric!  The lady at the store didn’t count properly when she cut it!

My improvisation and problem-solving skills were tested and I added the white, made the stacked coins vertical rather than horizontal, and voila!

The vertical stripe and white bands aren’t that bad but they weren’t what I had in mind.  I still think I would have preferred the back without the white, but I like this quilt anyways.

The final step will be to embroyder the little gal’s name and birthdate when we know it.  The parents have the quilt so I’ll pay them a visit one afternoon and sew on the label.

Final measurements: 64″ x 87″.  Pattern by Amanda Jean at crazymomquilts.  Find it here.

Thanks for stopping by!





I’m marika.  And I like to make things.  I like clay and textiles the most.  And food.

I pot, and quilt and knit.  And cook.  But don’t really bake.

Thanks for visiting.  This is my first blog so I’m sorry you don’t have much to look at right now.  It’ll get better, and more interesting.  I promise.

The point of this blog is to share stuff I make, hopefully inspire you to try a project you’ve been too scared to take up, and please, ask questions.  We’ll work through crafting problems together.

Hope you’ll come back soon.  And hopefully I’ll have something more interesting to show you.